Tuesday, December 9, 2008

WHAT TODAY...

What is my next goal? Make the World Cup in Canada.

How do I get there? Ski in the top 5 at US Nationals in January.

What can I do TODAY to do that? Go home...

That was the dialogue that went though my head yesterday as I was boarding the plane in Kelowna, BC, Canada.

I have been having back problems ever since the classic race in West. After day one in Canada it was clear that my back was in no shape to compete. I kept my spirits high, saw a doctor, took some time off, some muscle relaxants and cheered my teammates on from the sidelines.

When it became clear that my back was going to take more than a week to heal, I sat down with my coach, booked a flight and was home in less than 24 hours.

I have never felt so healthy and fit, yet incapacitated at the same time. If nothing else, back pain is humbling. Here in Ketchum I can rest and recover without the urge to ski (the grass is still green). I am keeping my goals in mind; doing something each day to get me a day closer.

1 comment:

Liz Stephen said...

We miss you in Silver Star Kate, but it was definitely the right decision to head out. Get your back better, and get ready to kick some ass at nationals. I believe in you fully and have no doubts that you will be just as ready, if not more, when you burst back on the scene in Alaska. Merry Christmas Kate. Hope you are feeling better really soon.