Wednesday, December 3, 2008

DIAGNOSIS

Dr. Swank and his girlfriend, Aga (who also happens to be a doctor) came to take a closer look at me last night. In a foreign country, in my condition, I could not have asked for a better time to run into my doctor friends. Thanks you guys! I don't know how, but someday I will get you back.

My back is in spasm and it is swelling. That is what the good doctors said. Those are the side effects of an irritated disc. Whether the disc is partially ruptured, pinched, slipped or bulged is irrelevant; as long as I get the spasm and swelling under control, the disc will heal itself. It might take days, it might take weeks but it will heal.

So... Dr. Swank called in a prescription for a muscle relaxant and I am taking Aleve for the inflamation. Heating, icing, 42 hours off and staying away from things that hurt, round off my rehab plan. The musscle relaxant means I won't be racing this weekend but I have learned that sometimes you have to look at the big picture. My priority is not this weekend, my priority is 2010 and that means getting back to 100%. Game on, I can do this.

Photo credit: Andy Canniff, Swix marketing.
Kate, West Yellowstone 8k Classic

2 comments:

Liz Stephen said...

Kate
I talked to Nicole for a minute this morning and asked how you were doing. She said yesterday was a bit better but today was not so good. If there is ANYTHING I can do, please let me know and I will get on it right away. We will come visit you tonight for a game of cranium and a smile. Thinking about you lots Kate.

Eric S said...

Kate,
Sorry about your back. Sounds like one of those things that may simply take time. Be patient.
The girls and I are pulling for you.
Eric