Tuesday, December 30, 2008

THE LAST FRONTIER

Our National Championship (short distance) is being held at Kincaid Park in Anchorage, Alaska this year. Today's high was 0 degrees... and I mean Fahrenheit! The picture to the left is a tuft of my hair that was sticking out of my hat - anything exposed, froze.

Being out in such cold temperatures, especially while during activity, can be dangerous to your lungs. Anyone who has worked exceptionally hard while breathing cold air has finished the day with something resembling a smokers cough. In order to avoid permanent damage (asthma, etc.) we are all wearing breathing masks. They are hot.

Nicole, donning frosted eyelashes

The masks are a product of Sweden, called Airtrim (www.airtrim.se)

Colin, sporting an 'Airtrim' (Alexa adjusting hers in the back)

One of the tunnels on the trail system at Kincaid Park

Time for dinner but stay tuned, more to come.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Being picky I know but Kincaid is the correct spelling and there are two tunnels at Kincaid. For some reason saying there are "many" made the place sound stranger than it is, at least to me. I am glad you and the rest of the top U.S. skiers are here and I look forward to watching all of you perform. Stay warm and ski well.

Kate Whitcomb said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

Actually, there are three tunnels, not two as "Anonymous" stated. The stadium tunnel, lower tunnel, and upper tunnel.

Anonymous said...

oops. I stand corrected. Should have just kept it shut. It was a silly detail to point out in the first place.

I hope to warms up for the racers and they get to race at our beautiful and thankfully rarely this cold Kincaid.