Tuesday, September 16, 2008

HYNDMAN

Some say it is 11,939' tall but others claim it is the shortest of Idaho's 12,000s at 12,009'. I am not sure which it is, only that it was a long way to the top. It took us just under 3 hours to gain 5,000' vertical and about 2 to run back to the bottom. A good day, killer in fact. One of the nicer views from the office!

Looking over at the lost river range and Borah, ID's tallest peak

This time of year has me keeping the volume the same but adding in some harder efforts. Last week looked like this:

Monday, am - 4x4min race pace running intervals
pm - 2:30 double pole with some strength drills


Tuesday, am - 2:45 skate roll with 30min no poles
pm - general strength

Wed, am - run and spenst (explosive jumps, etc)
pm - off

Thurs, am - 3:15 classic roll with 45min no poles
pm - general stregth


Friday, am - skate intervals 5x7min
pm - classic roll with speed

Saturday, am - 3-hour run

Sunday, am - 3-hour run

Total hours: 22.5

Nicole, making her way down from Hyndman summit

I would not normally have two 3-hour runs, back to back, but sometimes you have to make things work. I was up at 6am, running in the frosty darkness, getting it done - sometimes that is the way it has to be.

Some of the natives in the Pioneer range

This week has less volume (12 hours) with 3 interval sessions. I fly east on Monday (Sept 22) for a 2-week, sea-level training camp at the Olympic Training Center in Lake Placid, NY. Stay tuned for camp updates.

In other news, Main Street in Ketchum burnt. The building formerly known as Roddy's is where the blaze started before spreading to Sotheby's, Whiskey Jaques and The Sawtooth Club.

The roof of Whiskey's, removed by crane and set in the street

Video of the scene (not taken by me) in the right side bar...For a full size, click here

2 comments:

Daniel said...

Hey Kate, you might not remember me, but I sat next to you on the airplane a couple years ago heading out to New York from Utah with my friend Ben. I still have your Team FSx page bookmarked, so I thought I'd get a little refresher on all the fun things you're up to with your job! I now live in Portland, Oregon, so there's no doubt I'll be in Vancouver for the 2010 Games. Ironically enough, I have a friend who is training to be on U.S.A. Bobsled Team, so I'm excited to watch you both in 2010! Hope you're having a great time, and good luck.
- Daniel Evans

Kate Whitcomb said...

Hi Daniel, of course I remember you. I live in bend, OR for a while and loved it. I hope you are having fun in Portland. Thanks for checking in every once and a while. I hope you are having just as much fun with your job!

Kate