Saturday, September 27, 2008

PLYOMETRICS VIDEO

I always appreciate your questions. My mother always asks, "Kate, does anyone even read your site, no one ever comments..." Well, lack of comments is definitely the case but I sure do get quite a few direct emails pertaining to articles, videos and general ski and training questions... In fact my last strength video (a few articles down) has been watched 440 times in the last month. Here are a few recent email questions answered:

What is spenst? Is it even English? Maybe it is an acronym for something?

I had no idea, so I asked my trusty coach, Travis Jones. He says that the word spenst is Norwegian and there isn't really a direct English translation. Spen means tension, apparently. In general, spenst is explosive ski specific motions. So this video to follow does not represent spenst at all even though I titled it so...oops. We are technically doing plios in this video. Examples of spenst would be hill bounding and the such - later to come!




Another email question:

"I hear 'hup, hup' a lot in racing. What does it mean?"

As far as I know, hup is not a word. Definitely not an English one at least (and Trav says it isn't Norwegian either). Hup does have meaning though and is often used in cross-country skiing. If you are in a race and you hear a competitor say hup, it means get out of my track, I am going to pass you. If you hear it from someone on the side-lines, it means something like go, go! So it can be a cheer or a direction (as far as I know). International readers might be able to give us some more insite...

The video above was taken today, September 27th, outside of the Olympic Training Center, here in Lake Placid, NY (my residence for the next two weeks). The Sun Valley Olympic Development team is here for a sea-level training camp that will conclude with a freestyle roller ski time trial up the Whiteface memorial highway (bottom to top). Stay tuned for more camp updates. Nicole is here, along with new ITA teammates Caitlin and Brian. I think Torin will be here next week too so check their web logs for additional updates!

1 comment:

actarheel said...

Glad to hear all is going well. Thanks for the information. My daughters and I keep track of your progress - you were their kayak instructor back here in Fort Fairfield, Maine. They really have an appreciation for how hard you are training. Keep up the great work!