Wednesday, December 5, 2007

Home again, jigity-jig

I am back home in Ketchum, after a 16 hour drive from Silver Star, British Columbia, Canada. I never thought my bed could feel so good (and my bottom so sore)!

I am sorry that I was unable to update while out of the country, but I am home again, home again, with lots to write about.

First - If you have never been to Silver Star...GO! The trails are lengthy, wide and challenging and the village is straight out of the game Candy Land. Most of the rental houses are ski-in/ski-out for both alpine and cross-country and the snow is plentiful. Two - I have decided not to go to next weekend's races in Bozeman, Montana. The short version of the long story is this: I have something called Polymorphis light eruption; in 5 cent terminology - I am allergic to the sun (the irony of moving to SUN Valley). I was on an antibiotic for almost seven years due to this allergy. I just recently was given a new medication (that is not an antibiotic) in the last two months. This has brought both good and bad.

The good news is that, although I am still photo sensitive, I am no longer on an antibiotic. The bad news is that I missed out on seven years of anti-body-building and my immune system is completely shot. Since changing medications I have been victim to varying levels of sickness - from the flu to a two-day cold. I seem to come down with even the smallest thing, which is not the best scenario for racing.

I was sick just prior to the season, which canceled many an interval session - I was sick during the first races in West Yellowstone and I was sick just prior to the races in British Columbia.

Although my early-season competition has turned out to be a bust, I am keeping my head up. I will attain my daily goals today and work towards altered goals for this season...there is a bigger picture that I cannot lose focus on. US Nationals is in January. I will be ready.

All anyone can do is play the hand they were dealt. I am playing mine with a smile and determination. "A bend in the road is only the end of the road if you fail to make the turn." It is time to bag the travel, get healthy, sleep in my own bed and train. Game on.

I may not have been able to pull out some good results yet this year, but my teammates sure have! Pictured far left, Colin Rodgers chases down a Canadian in the 15k FS race. Colin earned a step on Sunday's sprint podium, just ahead of Sun Valley teammate, Mikey Sinnott. Junior, Reid Pletcher finished 8th (pictured below in his qualification round). For full sprint results - CLICK HERE


To see full-sized (HUGE) images - click on them.

No comments: