Tuesday, January 8, 2008

Wax On

click on image to enlarge

I have been asked many times about my favorite waxes. A skiers’ choice in wax is much like a college boys little black book; filled with personal preference and usually kept secret. As a professional athlete, I have been affiliated with a wax company for the past two years, which has limited my wax box to a single brand. Such is no longer the case and it is here and now that I will share my all-time favorite players in my little red wax box.

First, my most readily used. A wax that I attain by the kilo – Swix LF6 (it’s the blue one)
I use LF6 as a glide wax for training 99% of the time. It has the ideal temperature range for the majority of days (10-21°F) and is a great base layer on race day. Whether you are topping it with warmer or colder wax, higher or lower fluorocarbons or skiing on it straight up, LF6 is the way to be. Since it is a mid-range floro, it also works well in both wet and dry snow. Training on slow skis is not fun and I train more than I race. It is a bit more than the CH6 (no fluorocarbons) but WELL worth the extra penny! Ever ski will be more enjoyable, I promise.

For kick-wax, lets start with binder. My faves – Rode Chola (klister) and Toko Base Wax (kick)
On abrasive days, long skis or trails that you might be using a directional turn (snowplow) or slide, kick-wax and even klister will tend to wear off. If you are looking for bomber kick that stays put, these are the way to go no doubt. Chola looks, feels and even smells like tar; it is gnarly stuff but it works. The thinnest layer you can manage is enough, which explains why I have had the same tube since high school (going on 8 years) so it is a good investment. The same goes with the Toko Base; just a dab will do. I apply both binders with an iron whenever possible to ensure the thinnest layer possible, which will make sure your skis stay fast after you add the wax of the day over-top.

Kick-wax – Swix Extra Blue (duh, it is everyone’s fave) and Rode Multigrade
These waxes work really well. The reason why they are my favorites however, is probably because the day is going to look like this: blue sky, 20°F, hard tracks and fast snow. Extra blue days are the ones that remind me why I ski; they are perfect.

Klister – Rex oi, ov and Swix Universal
These klisters are for the tough days. They are for wet snow, eastern and springtime conditions. I have used these waxes in combination on many occasions and have had great results on days where everyone else is struggling. The universal added in helps keep the wax from icing and can also be bought with graphite (Silver Universal), which will repel dirt.

Handy tools – These are the little gadgets that make my life easier.


Pipe cutter – used for cutting down poles. This little sucker makes training camps, race days and the beginning of every year SOOO much easier! It is WAY quicker and more portable than the saw that everyone else uses. Tip - wrap tape around the shaft, just below where you are going to cut to keep the carbon from shattering. I also carry a glue stick to adhere the grips/tips.

Thermometer – my favorite is a Swix digital snow gauge (shown), which measures in degrees Celsius. Air temperature can be measured with it too (if you don’t put it in the snow, silly).

Scraper sharpener – Any brand, the important thing is to have one! There is nothing worse than a dull scraper and nothing better than a sharp one. A sharp scraper also saves loads of time in the wax-room. It takes me roughly 30 seconds to scrape a ski – how long does it take your dull blade?


Plug adaptor – This little bad-boy is not often used but it has saved the day more than once. Most irons are three-pronged and this adaptor enables them to fit into a two-pronger (for lack of the technical term) outlet. The adaptor is just a little guy that you might never need, but if you do you’ll be psyched to have it!

Have fun and maybe even leave me a comment - let me know what the favorite item in your wax box is…

7 comments:

Luke S said...

I've gotta say there's nothing more often used in my waxbox than my Toko GelClean spray. When you get home from a tough klister race, and faced with the messy process of wiping all that klister off your skis, there is nothing better than a little GelClean, makes the job 1000 times quicker and easier, especially when you have to ski in klister almost every day in Massachusetts. My other favorite item is my Toko Base Green, used nearly every time I classic ski at Weston Ski Track, which is all the time, usually as the lone kick wax.

dellamy1 said...

HI Kate,

It was really fun seeing you up in Houghton for the Nationals! It was really inspiring for Katie and Spencer to see you ski and talking with you. Katie kept saying "she is so nice." We have some great photos of you and would love to get them to you some how, either by email or snail mail. My email is decolores1994-at-hotmail.com. Send me an address and I can get them to you!

We have lost all our snow here:( It was in the mid 50's here in sw MI with tons of rain. (Which I can say is good because Lake MI needs water to float our boat in the summer:) We have a 5K team time trial this weekend, and it looks like some snow on friday will cover the trails up north!

Good luck in your training, stay healthy and good luck in your next race!

Sincerely, Your fans from MI!
Amy, Dell, Katie and Spencer Todd

Anonymous said...

Kate-
You didn't specify about brushes. There are so many different types out there.....Do you use roto brushes, hand brushes? And in what order???

Anonymous said...

Hi Kate,
Two rookie questions:
1.) How often do you remove kick wax? Do you remove it after every ski or just when you need to change it to a different temp range?
2.) I seem to have balance issues when I stride. Rather than stay centered over the skis, I seem to get off balance to one side, correct myself, then get off center to the other side. Almost like a drunken sailor trying to walk home from the bars. Any suggestions?

Good luck the rest of the season!

Anonymous said...

BRUSHES: I do not like to use a roto-brush only because it is a hassle to haul a drill around. I also think that it is unnecessary if you scrape properly. My favorite brush is a really fine steel one from Swix but the brass works well too! I use the metal brushes (either one) before I wax, kind of to clean the ski I guess. I also use those brushes after I scrape since they do a good job of getting any wax of that I missed. Sometimes I like to follow up with the white nylon that is kind of stiff. This is more mental than anything for me because it makes the colder waxes nice and shiny, which looks fast!

I hope that helps! Oh - I also have a blue nylon brush that I use ONLY for the powdered fluorocarbons. That is the brush that is visible in the photograph (it is oval with a plastic baggie around it).

Good Question, thanks!

Anonymous said...

KICK WAX: Hi, I change the kick wax on my rock skis (training skis) only when the temperature changes or when I glide wax them. I take the wax off of my race skis after each race. If you add too many layers, the ski will start to drag and become slow, which isn't really a problem for training. To keep the race skis with the thinnest layer of wax possible, I re-wax for each race. My college coach use to say "Thick for kick, thin to win."

BALANCE: The more you ski, the more comfortable you will become on your boards and committing to each ski. Try to notice where you look...if you focusing down the trail, your balance will be better than if you look down at your feet. Looking ahead might help if you are not already doing so.

You can also do drills to improve your balance. Try interjecting something like 10 minutes of focused balance work each time you ski. I like to take a few quick strides to get my speed up and then see how far I can glide on one ski. I make sure to switch feet each time so I practice right and left (I am better at my right). You can also try this down hills. Try to go down the entire hill on one ski. Keep both skis on, just pick one up. You can start by using your poles a bit for help. Once you get pretty good, you can go down steeper hills and corners!

In both classic and skating, it is important to commit to each ski (shift your weight) which takes balance. So work on it regardless of technique. It is also good to ski without poles (classic and skate), which will help challenge your balance.

You can work on balance in the gym too by doing one-legged squats on a bosue ball (the half physio ball). I will take pictures the next time I go into the gym and do an article on balance drills, how about that!

Thanks for the idea! I hope that helps. Good luck and have fun!

Anonymous said...

Kate,
Your suggestion to look down the trail has help quite a bit. I discovered that actually I have been looking down at the tips of my skis.
Will also try some of the technique drills you suggested.

Be careful using the pipe cutter on poles. The manufacturers of bicycle carbon forks are adament that people do NOT use a pipe cutter on carbon stems, as it can crush the shaft and damage it.

Thanks again for your help and good luck this season!