Saturday, November 10, 2007

August 29, 2007

I have just recently returned from a 20-day, on-snow camp in New Zealand. The conditions at the Waiorau Snow Farm, my home for the majority of August, were ideal. From the plethora of snow and grooming to the training company and accommodations, it doesn’t get any better.

The real adventure that August provided, however, began upon my return home.

I had heard that a small electrical fire, caused by lightning, had started in the mountains near my hometown of Ketchum, Idaho. Last year I experienced a few days of mildly uncomfortable air conditions due to nearby fires, so I figured it would be more of the same. I was seriously shocked to wake up to the scene that welcomed me home this year.

Over 1,600 fire personnel camping in the field by my home, their fire village spreading across the alpine mountain’s parking lots. More than 44,000 acres burnt or burning. 15 helicopters, 102 engines, 7 bulldozers and 45 hand crews were swarming the area. Smoke so thick in the morning that the 5660-foot tall Bald Mountain, once a prominent view from my deck, could not be seen. The thing that really struck home, making the severity of the situation apparent, were the flames that were visible from town.

With training limited in such conditions, I headed 3 hours west to the Big City of Boise. After three days of road biking and an Idaho State Championship race under my belt, work started to loom over my travel companions and my training was in need of variation. I caught the ride back into the depths of the fire, only to pack up my car and head out the following morning.

Only so much training can be done in a gym with filtered air and the quality of training diminishes greatly (for me) if it is done solo for extended periods of time. For those reasons, I found it necessary to leave Idaho temporarily. I drove south to Park City, Utah where the US Ski Team resides and trains.

Having just spent three weeks with these athletes and coaches in New Zealand, it has been easy to fall back into their routine. This morning found us doing roller ski intervals, being chased by a support Subaru spurting technique improvements and hauling reinforcements. That kind of quality cannot be harnessed when training alone.

My plan is to say put until the fire is under control and the smoke has cleared. Traveling reduces the effectiveness of training and recovery. Although it is stressful to be away from home, especially when it is burning, I need to prioritize and stay put here in Utah for a bit.

No comments: