Sunday, September 13, 2009

BORN TO RUN

Born to run, a claim that I would not make about myself (although I do enjoy it). I have always thought of myself as a Big Dog (a don't jump out of the truck, take it easy on the pavement sort of deal). Over the years, my ipod, new shoes and good friends have helped with motivation on long runs until now...

After reading Christopher McDougall’s Born to Run, I don’t know that I need them anymore. My last run was solo, without music, sans shoes and effortless. The shoeless part was only 10 minutes out of 90 but regardless; I have a new take on putting one foot in front of the other.

I usually prefer to relax with historical novels or straight up fantasy; leaving the training, nutrition and competition topics to real life. That said, this book covers all of the topics that I usually shy from AND, I loved it, recommend it and am writing about it. Translation: read it.

Christopher McDougall, a middle-aged guy trying to lose a few pounds by running a few miles each day, wondered why he kept getting injured. He went past drug cartel, into the canyons of Mexico in search of the secrets of the Raramuri tribe to find out.

Even if you are not a runner, this book speaks about the passion of doing something you love - about finding balance and having conviction. In fewer than 300 pages, this book had me (a self-motivated, lover of running and health conscious athlete) rethinking my nutrition, athletic equipment and gave me a mental overhaul. If nothing else, it is nice to hear another side of a much-discussed topic – running injuries.

As an aside I would like to note that Born to Run is my 7th book completed since summer. It puts me exactly 6 books ahead of Simi, my roommate and competition in our reading club (and by club, I mean race). More to come on THAT in the future, I am sure.

2 comments:

Joe Howdyshell said...

That book was AMAZING! I had the same response, made me think about a ton of stuff. My initial foray into the barefoot domain didn't go as well. Turns out that one of the little things we unlearn by wearing shoes is how to not trip over your own damn toes.

Kate Whitcomb said...

Howdy, my friend said the same thing! She bought a pair of the Vibram Five Fingers and said her first outing was in some tall grass - She ended up with bouquets of flowers between her toes... and a broken pinky-toe the next day from a rock.

Thanks for the warnings, I will be sure to use caution (stay off of my toes, if you will). I hope you haven't given up on it yet...